TCFV’s bereavement services are presently for over-18s only. For under-18 bereavement support, please refer to the following services.
1800 551 800
A free, private and confidential, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged between 5 and 25.
1800 650 890
Free online and telephone service that supports young people aged between 12 and 25 and their families going through a tough time. Headspace has a range of centres in metro and regional Victoria. (https://headspace.org.au/headspace-centres/)
1800 642 066
Kids Grieve Too (KG2) is a closed support group program for children aged 6-12 years. it is a caring and supportive group which assist children to explore and express their grief in creative ways. The emphasis is on helping bereaved children develop skills and strengths to adapt to their loss.
‘Serious Fun’ – An Activity Day for Suicide Bereaved Children (Primary School Age)
(03) 9421 7640
This program runs in the school holidays on a Wednesday morning. Kids can:
- Get to know others who have also lost someone significant to suicide
- See how other kids have been going and have been feeling about things
- Learn some different ways to act and talk about what has happened.
Parents and carers can expect that their kids will:
- Share their experience of bereavement with other children in a supportive environment with experienced and qualified facilitators.
- Develop ways to communicate with others about their experience of bereavement.
- Have an enhanced awareness and knowledge of their own grief experience and process.
- Develop some resilience and problem-solving abilities.
- Create some positive resources for the future.
If any parent or caregiver wishes to bring a child, they should contact Colin who facilitates the group for more information and to register. Our number is 1800 943 415
Our young people need 21st century strategies for moving beyond past trauma, to regulate their emotions, and how to cope with present and future challenges.
Feel the Magic® runs Australia’s largest and leading grief education and support program, Camp Magic®, a safe place for grieving kids to grow. This program was launched in 2015 and is designed to support children and teenagers aged 7-17 who have lost a parent/s, sibling or legal guardian. Camp Magic® follows a structured psychoeducational program, in addition to fun physical activities and resilience building challenges. Campers make connections with peers as they learn that they are not alone in their grief in a supportive and comforting environment.