“I remember I couldn’t write cards that year, I didn’t want a tree and, in fact,
didn’t really want to know about Christmas at all”
As some of you already know, one of the greatest traumas imaginable is when a family experiences the death of a child, sibling or grandchild, regardless of whether that child is 3, 21 or 50 years old. A child’s death is particularly traumatic because it is often unexpected through accident, suicide or illness.
We know that the trauma associated with the death of a child, sibling or grandchild often leads to a range of social, emotional and psychological problems including depression, anxiety, stress, relationship problems, increased risk of suicide, social isolation, poor health and guilt.
For approximately 180 of our newest members and their families, this will be their first holiday season without their beloved child, sibling or grandchild.
The Compassionate Friends Victoria:
- Responds to approx. 3500 calls each year through its 24hrs a day, 365 days a year telephone grief support line.
- Facilitates approx. 30 support group sessions every month throughout metropolitan and regional Victoria.
- Trains and supports approx. 150 bereaved volunteers who wish to provide peer support to other bereaved members.
- Delivers over 1500 hours of community and professional training to increase awareness about the impact of grief.
- Sends out over 2,300 Anniversary cards every year to ensure that members’ children are always remembered.
At least 35 people will approach us during this holiday period for support following the death of their child, sibling or grandchild.
$50 – Enables a bereaved parent to undergo training to be able to support other parents
$110 – Provides 2 new members with unlimited access to all the support they need for a full year
$250 – Community education for 50 people, so they better understand the impacts of grief
$500 – Provides unlimited telephone grief support for 4 newly bereaved people for a full year
$1000 – Enables a small group of grieving men to attend a specialist support group for up to 6 months
“As time went on, I started to write Christmas cards again – if I’m writing for the family, I still write Dani’s name on it too.
I have also started putting the Christmas tree up again”
I would like to make a difference by donating:
All donations over $2 are tax deductible